- Vietnam’s Prime Minister, Nguyen Xuan Phuc recently decided to establish a national operation center for eliminating toxic chemical hazards and minimizing environmental accidents.
- Takehome: In order to improve safety in the chemical sector, Shandong’s provincial government issued a notification on upcoming rectification work targeting chemical plants and parks.
China Concludes 1st Round of Central Government Environmental Inspections and Gears up for a New RoundIn mid-May 2019, China’s first round of central government environmental inspections and follow-up reviews were wrapped up. It is reported that the central government has been vigorously preparing for a new round of actions
- Takehome: G20 achieved consensus on formulating an international framework in order to reduce oceanic plastic waste, which will be the first international framework on oceanic plastic waste in the world.
- On May 24, 2019, the Chinese Ministry of Ecology and Environment (MEE) introduced three national standards on emission of air pollutants, including the Standard for Fugitive Emission of Volatile Organic Compounds
- Takehome: MEE released the list of pilot “no-waste cities” and issued guidance documents for the compilation of local implementation schemes. The implementation of the pilot program poses numerous challenges for
- On April 27, 2019, Jiangsu’s provincial government released the Program of Jiangsu Province for Rectifying and Improving Safety and Environmental Regulation of Chemical Industry, making an ambitious pledge to overhaul the local chemical
- On April 24, 2019, the Chinese Ministry of Ecology and Environment (MEE) issued a notice to consult on two national standards on self-monitoring of pollutant-discharging entities, namely the Self-monitoring
- On April 19, 2019, the Chinese Ministry of Ecology and Environment (MEE) issued a notice to seek public feedback on the General Program of Technical Guidelines for Environmental Health Risk Assessment, aiming to guide and
- Takehome: China will strengthen its efforts to ensure safe and environment-friendly production in the chemical industry. A total of 1,176 chemical enterprises need to relocate and rebuild
- Recently, Jiangsu provincial government issued the Program for Building an Ecological and Environmental Standard System of Jiangsu Province (2018-2022), specifying that by the end of 2022, 100 ecological and environmental
- On April 1st, Jiangsu’s provincial government issued a draft plan to slash the number of chemical production enterprises and chemical parks over the next 3 years. The plan is to eliminate chemical enterprises with low safety standards
- On April 3, 2019, the Chinese Ministry of Ecology and Environment issued a notice  seeking feedback on the Provisional Administrative Rules on Carbon Emission Trading, in a bid to
China Consults on Technical Specification for Application and Issuance of Pollutant Discharge Permit for the Waste Resources Processing IndustryOn March 4, 2019, the Chinese Ministry of Ecology and Environment (MEE) issued a notice  soliciting comments on the draft of its new standard, Technical Specification for Application and Issuance of Pollutant Discharge
- In Dec, 2018, New Zealand updated the Ozone Layer Protection Amendment Regulations 2018 to align with international conventions like the Montreal Protocol and its Kigali Amendment for reducing the levels of HFCs (
- On Jan 25, China MEE opened public consultation on the draft list of toxic and hazardous water pollutants (First Batch) (有毒有害水污染物名录（第一批）). The public consultation period will end on Feb 16, 2019.