- MOT emphasizes reform of management on dangerous goods road transportation with a focus on tank and tanker inspections
- A new standard Safety technical conditions for dangerous goods road transport vehicles will be issued.
On Feb 25, Mr. Yu Xingyuan, the chief of freight and logistics management in MOT, made a speech regarding the “regulations and supervisions in dangerous goods road transport in China” during the “Sino-German Dangerous Goods Transportation Workshop” held in Beijing. During the speech, Mr. Yu pointed out problems in dangerous goods transportation (hereinafter referred as “TDG”), detailed management of China TDG and offered some insight on future reform of the sector.
Mr. Yu highlighted the following issues in China TDG:
- Loopholes in safety management and inefficient implementation of regulations
- No proper equipment standards, especially in tankers
- Poor transport management in co-op vehicles
- Issues relating to dangerous goods licensing and local policies
- Implementation of small quantity exemptions
China is moving to address these problems in the following ways:
Improve two weak points
- The management of consignment and filing
- The inspection of tanks and atmospheric pressure tanker
Upgrade two systems
- Full implementation of the dangerous goods transport bill management system
- Encourage transport entities to fulfill obligations
- Improve the exemption system for dangerous goods transport
- Under current regulation, 7 gases  are exempted as general goods provided package and loading capacity are compliant with certain requirements. This exemption saves around 14 billion RMB in logistics costs and for this reason further refinement of exemption criteria is needed.
Build a system
China will build a safety management system to administrate its 375k transport vehicles and 11.5k practitioners. The system will focus on:
- Sharing information on tank inspection as threshold for access licensing and vehicle registration;
- Developing a national intranet for waybills.
- Complete intranet connecting 20 provinces by year 2019
- Achieve full-chain and whole-process supervision in TDG
Several standards are scheduled to be issued/ updated:
- Safety technical conditions for dangerous goods road transport operating vehicles
- GB13392 dangerous goods road transport vehicle mark