- India FSSAI has stipulated that final food contact products manufactured from bamboo shall have smooth surfaces and be free from chemical contaminants.
- Production of bamboo food contact materials shall follow good hygiene practices
As reusable bamboo cutlery is commonplace in India and has a history of safe use, on Aug. 30, 2019, India FSSAI unveiled Guidelines for Use of Bamboo as Food Contact Material and Guidelines for Manufacturing, Handling and Use of Bamboo Food Contact Items to officially specify manufacturing, storage and product requirements.
The final food contact products manufactured from bamboo shall meet the follow basic standards:
- It shall have smooth surfaces and be free from dirt, dust, off-odour and coloration
- It shall be free from chemical contaminants and microbial pathogens
- It shall be durable and reusable
- Products’ shelf life and storage conditions shall be clearly indicated on the label
- The products’ labeling and advertising shall be authentic
In terms of manufacturing, the bamboo food contact materials shall be produced and handled under hygienic conditions so as to avoid physical, chemical and microbial contamination. It shall only be prepared from the edible bamboo varieties and shall not contain any other material in combination with bamboo.
Additionally, good hygiene practices shall be followed at each step of manufacture and storage.
Please click here to see the details of Guidelines for Manufacturing, Handling and Use of Bamboo Food Contact Items